Our acclaimed CD on Albany Records, Shall We Gather, is a recording of 27 beautiful American hymns and spirituals drawn largely from the 19th century, the golden period of religious music in America. The recording is taken from a live performance presented at New York City’s Christ and St. Stephen’s Church.
The recording includes extensive program notes giving background on the American hymn and Negro spiritual as well as information on each individual work, plus an essay by author Ian Frazier.
William Appling Singers & Orchestra’s presentation of these American hymns and spirituals is unique in that the works are performed in their original or “least arrange” forms, without the ornamentation or altered harmonies that can hide the pure beauty of this music. Among the works performed are traditional hymns by Lowell Mason and Charles Zeuner, the gospel hymns of Robert Lowry and George F. Root, folk and revival hymns and wonderful Shaker hymn, More Love. The spirituals are drawn from the classic collections of John W. Work, Harry T. Burleigh, and J. Rosamond Johnson.
Hymns and spirituals form much of the core American music of the 20th century, both popular and classical. Many American composers, including Charles Ives, Aaron Copland, William Grant Still and Virgil Thomson, were deeply influenced by these works, and the jazz, folk and popular music of this century was a direct outgrowth of the hymn and spiritual.
1. Liberty Hall (Lord, in Thy Presence)
2. Rise, Shine, for Thy Light Is A-Comin'
3. Welwn (O Brother Man)
4. Pisgah (The Lord's My Shepherd)
5. Poor Rosy
6. I've Just Come from the Fountain
7. Let Us Cheer the Weary Traveler
8. Nettleton (Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing)
9. Wondrous Love (What Wondrous Love is This)
10. Gospel Train
11. Shining Shore (My Days Are Gliding Swiftly By)
12. More Love
13. In Mercy, Lord (In Mercy, Lord, Incline Thine Ear)
14. Beautiful River (Shall We Gather at the River)
15. Some of These Days
16. The Old Ship of Zion
17. St. Peter (In Christ There Is No East or West)
18. Missionary Chant (Awake, Our Souls)
19. Old Ship of Zion (What Ship Is This?)
20. Inching Along
21. Watchman (Watchman, Tell Us of the Night)
22. Hurry On, My Weary Soul
23. Morning Trumpet (O When Shall I See Jesus)
24. He's a Mighty Good Leader
25. Hold On
26. Resignation (My Shepherd Will Supply My Need)
27. We Shall Walk Through the Valley